Martin M. Miles

Martin M. Miles

Posted on 04/21/2016


Photo taken on June  1, 2014



See also...

Church Interiors Church Interiors


Directly from below Directly from below



Keywords

Italy
Province of Oristano
Provincia di Oristano
Greek Cross
Byzantine Empire
Byzantine
Sardinia
Sardinien
Sardaigne
San Giovanni di Sinis


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

87 visits

San Giovanni di Sinis

San Giovanni di Sinis
"San Giovanni di Sinis", sited at the entrance of the present day village "San Giovanni di Sinis", is one of the oldest churches on the island of Sardinia.

It was erected next to a Punic, Roman and then paleo-Christian necropolis in the 6th century. At that time Sardinia was part of the Byzantine Empire. Originally the church consisted out of a central body, surmounted by a dome, and four identical arms ("Greek Cross"). Here is the dome - constructed about 1500 years ago.

San Giovanni di Sinis got altered and underwent an extension between the 9th and 11th century, when the aisles and a part of the nave were added. Since then not much has changed.

Comments