Martin M. Miles

Martin M. Miles

Posted on 03/16/2016


Photo taken on June  1, 2014



See also...

CLOISTERS.... CLOISTERS....



Keywords

ruin
Maria di Pauls
Abbazia di Nostra Signora di Paulis
Ittiri
Province of Sassari
Provincia di Sassari
Cistercian
Sardinia
Uri
Sardinien
Sardaigne
Italy
cloister
Comita II


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

93 visits

Uri - Nostra Signora di Paulis

Uri - Nostra Signora di Paulis
Near the village Uri (and behind a gate) are the ruins of the Cistercian "Abbazia di Nostra Signora di Paulis", erected from 1205 on swampy grounds, after a donation made by Comita II, Judge of Torres. Paulis - Paludis translates to swampland.

This abbey was located near an ancient Roman road, later called "S'Istrada de sos Padres" ("The road of the monks"), as the road connected the monastery to the Cistercian Santa Maria di Corte abbey, which is located near Bosa, about 50kms south. Since 1410 the monastery is abandoned - and crumbles since then.

This once was the cloister of the monastery.

Antony Cairns has particularly liked this photo


Comments