Martin M. Miles

Martin M. Miles

Posted on 09/11/2014


Photo taken on July  1, 2013



See also...


Keywords

14
sailing ship
France
Basse-Normandie
Calvados
carved graffiti
carved graffito
Saint-Gabriel-Brécy
Prieuré Saint-Gabriel


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

113 visits

Saint-Gabriel-Brécy - Prieuré Saint-Gabriel

Saint-Gabriel-Brécy - Prieuré Saint-Gabriel
The priory was established in 1058 by Benedictine monks of the powerful abbey in Fecamp (150 kms north east) with the of the local Baron of Creully.

End of the 17th century, the priory was in decline and soon after the abbey church partly collapsed. Most of the conventual buildings got demolished, when the priory got sold after the French Revolution and converted into a farm.

One of the still existing buildings is the former gatehouse. Here all the walls are covered with graffiti. Ships and boats can often be found carved into walls, especially (like here) near to the sea.

Comments