Martin M. Miles

Martin M. Miles

Posted on 05/30/2014


Photo taken on August  1, 2013



See also...


Keywords

21
Saint-Thibault
translatio
Côte-d'Or
Burgundy
Gothic
Bourgogne
France
translation
portal
crown
Gothic smile


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

97 visits

Saint-Thibault - Saint-Thibault

Saint-Thibault - Saint-Thibault
What is the parish church of the tiny village Saint-Thibault, seen here, was the center of a priory, that was founded in 1190. In the early times, the priory had erected a Romanesque church.

After the "translation" of Saint Thibault´s relics to this church (1240), pilgrims arrived here in greater numbers, what created "business". So end of the 13th century the monks started to replace the Romanesque church with a "modern" Gothic one. The choir was built between 1299 and 1323.

This large church collapsed in 1712. A fire burnt down what was rebuilt 16 years later. So that only the choir, a transept chapel and an early Gothic portal still existed, when a humble rebuilding process started mid 18th century. The portal, seen on the previous upload, has two statues on either side.

Here is the couple from the portal´s left side.

A luxuriously clothed couple, clearly older than their counterparts on the right side of the portal. Way better clothed. He wears a large embroidered collar and a crown. A small moneybag hangs down her belt, probably filled with some small coins for the poor. She is such a a merciful lady! These are probably statues of important donors, when the monks built the church.

Comments