PierreG_09

PierreG_09

Posted on 09/14/2014


Photo taken on September  4, 2014




Keywords

train
estación internacional de Canfranc
Pierre GOUJET
canfranc
RENFE
pyrénées
ardoise
pirineos
aragon
toit
toiture
espagne
españa
gare
montagne
Canfranc International Railway Station


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

52 visits

La estación internacional de Canfranc (Aragon)

La estación internacional de Canfranc (Aragon)
Une vue de ce gigantesque bâtiment (240 m de longueur) au milieu des montagnes à 1200 m d'altitude.

Canfranc International Railway Station
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
View of the Estación Internacional de Canfranc

Canfranc International Railway Station (Spanish: Estación Internacional de Canfranc) is a former international railway station in the village of Canfranc in the Spanish Pyrenees, at one end of the tunnel which carried the Pau to Canfranc line under the Pyrenees. Opened in 1928, the main building is 240 metres long and has 300 windows and 156 doors.

The large size of the station and infrastructure was necessitated in part by the need to transfer all transiting passengers, baggage and freight between Spanish and French trains, because the French rail Standard gauge of 1,435 millimetres (4.708 ft) was incompatible with the Spanish gauge of 1,672 millimetres (5.486 ft) at the time and hence prevented through-traffic.[1] This transformed a simple customs-control exercise into a lengthy logistics exercise.

The station's raison d'être came to an abrupt halt in 1970 when a train derailment demolished a bridge on the French side of the mountains. The French decided not to rebuild the bridge, the cross border line was closed and never re-opened.

The main building has been re-roofed, but is otherwise in a state of disrepair, fenced off and closed to the public except during guided tours in July and August offered via the local tourist office.

The remainder of the huge site includes a large locomotive depot, two sheds for the transhipment of freight between French and Spanish trains, various other outbuildings and a large layout of tracks. The site is mostly overgrown, but most of the buildings are largely intact and can be entered.

The railway station, using rather more modest facilities, is still open for the two daily passenger trains to and from Saragossa (Zaragoza), plus occasional freight trains to the grain silo.

Comments