1/100 f/7.1 24.0 mm ISO 100

Canon EOS Rebel T6s

EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM

EXIF - See more details

Location


See also...


Keywords

building
Alberta
Canada
center
centre
urban
2017AIMG_9397
downtown
architecture
city
Canadian
firehall
SE
6 Avenue
Number
no.
historic
1
one
1 Street


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
Attribution + non Commercial

451 visits

Budget Fire Headquarters (Calgary's historic Firehall No. 1)

Budget Fire Headquarters (Calgary's historic Firehall No. 1)
Information from:
hermis.alberta.ca/ARHP/Details.aspx?DeptID=1&ObjectID...

Calgary Fire Hall No. 1 is a two-storey, concrete and masonry building on six lots amidst high-rise office buildings in downtown Calgary. The front façade, with its five bay doors and pedimented metal cornice, is diagonally oriented toward the corner. Its exterior cladding is brick with sandstone details. A brick parapet surrounds the sloping roof, and a metal cornice decorates the exterior at the topmost level. A square tower with a reconstruction of the original copper-covered cupola rises in the northeast corner.

Heritage Value
The heritage value of Calgary Fire Hall No. 1 lies chiefly in its historical and architectural significance for its association with the history of firefighting in Alberta, its connection to James "Cappy" Smart, and its excellent representation of an early twentieth-century, urban fire station.

Built in 1911 to replace Calgary's first Fire Headquarters, which had been erected in 1887, Calgary Fire Hall No. 1 represented advances in fire-fighting characteristic of the pre-war boom in Alberta. Emerging urban areas throughout the west had marked their transition from early settlement communities to more densely populated towns and cities by shifting from buildings constructed predominantly of wood to much more fire retardant structures erected of brick and stone. In the cities, fire departments were making the change from primarily volunteer bucket brigades to professionally trained, paid, and mechanized forces. Important figures such as James "Cappy" Smart, Calgary's first full-time fire chief, spanned the whole era of this historical development. As such, Smart personally participated in the planning of Fire Hall No. 1, and led Calgary's fire fighters from their headquarters there until his retirement in 1933. The station was in continuous use as a fire hall until 1973.

A Buildings Fan, Peggy C, John Oram, Gerald(BATH)2019 have particularly liked this photo


Comments
 John Oram
John Oram club
Fine image.
2 years ago.
Canadian Pacific club has replied to John Oram club
Thank you John!
2 years ago.
 Peggy C
Peggy C club
A treasure !

This beautiful photo was discovered: In EXPLORE ....
2 years ago.

Sign-in to write a comment.