See also...


Keywords

city
kingdom
britain
center
wax
livery
coat of arms
company
the city
crest
gresham
chandlers
arms
british
london
door
central
6
england
street
united
centre
coat
great
hall
worshipful


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

70 visits

Fanciful Name: The Worshipful Company of Wax Chandlers

Fanciful Name: The Worshipful Company of Wax Chandlers
The Wax Chandlers Company received its Royal Charter in 1484 and was a tradesmen guild for the beewax and candle trades. Before the days of the electric bulbs, beewax was very expensive and only the very wealthy could afford light after dark, and the Wax Chandlers Co. was a very powerful livery company. In the Medieval times, the Church, the Monrach and the noble families only use beewax whereas ordinary people used tallow candles.

The Co. of the Wax Chandlers has owned this site at No. 6 Gresham Street since 1501.

Nowadays the Company is mostly involved in charitable works and their hall is for hire for social functions.

Comments