• CBR Antoing

    Clinker storage at Antoing works. The CBR cement works at Antoing on the Scheldt is part of the Heidelberg group. The kiln was started in 1986 and in 2012 produced 822,594 tonnes of cement clinker.

  • Centrale de Monceau power station

    This power station was built by the Intercom (now Electrabel) in 1921. Monceau sur Sambre was still an independent municipality and the new coal plant was one of the largest in Belgium. In the 50's and 60's, the plant was expanded and after Monceau sur Sa…

  • Coke and coal

    S.A. Cokeries et Houillères d'Anderlues first erected coke ovens in 1904 which were replaced by new ones in 1931. The works produced foundry coke and was one of the smallest and oldest coke by-product plants still operating in Belgium at the time of clos…


  • Cook with electricity

    Pushing the product on a substation, Rue de Landalies, Monceau-sur-Sambre.

  • Beringen Colliery

    Beringen Colliery closed in 1989 and part of the site is now used as a mining museum. The second shaft headgear does not seem to have much attention lavished upon it and the roof over the sheaves has been removed.

  • Ampsin limekilns

    In 1919, Hippolyte Dumont built three lime kilns at Ampsin near Liège. A large lime and cement works was developed here and flourished until c1970 when the Dumont-Wautier Company built the new rotary kiln in its nearby quarry. These old kilns are 11 metre…


  • Cokeries d'Anderlues

    S.A. Cokeries et Houillères d'Anderlues first erected coke ovens in 1904 which were replaced by new ones in 1931. The works produced foundry coke and was one of the smallest and oldest coke by-product plants still operating in Belgium at the time of clos…

  • Machine hall

    Zolder was the last colliery in the Benelux countries and closed in 1992. The machine hall still has much of the machinery remaining.

  • Zolder colliery remains

    Zolder was the last colliery in the Benelux countries and closed in 1992. The machine hall still has much of the machinery remaining.


  • Zolder, the last remaining headgear

    Belgium no longer has a coal industry and the last pit to close was that at Zolder, in the Limburg region, which stopped work in 1992. The machine hall and one headgear survives, whilst the power house has been converted to office and exhibition use and s…

  • Siège St-Albert

    After the Second World War Marshall plan funds were used to modernise the Ressaix collieries through the sinking of a 5 metre diameter shaft and the the installation of a tower equipped with a 3,300hp electric winder. The designed production was 3000 tonn…

  • Triage-Lavoir de Péronnes

    Slurry treatment tank at Triage-Lavoir de Péronnes.This coal washery was built with the help of Marshall Plan funding in 1954. It processed daily over 3,000 tonnes of coal from the mines of Péronnes, Ressaix and Trivières. In 1969 with the closure of the…


  • Cokeries d'Anderlues

    S.A. Cokeries et Houillères d'Anderlues first erected coke ovens in 1904 which were replaced by new ones in 1931. The works produced foundry coke and was one of the smallest and oldest coke by-product plants still operating in Belgium at the time of clos…

  • Cimescaut, Antoing

    The Cimescaut site specialises in production of limestone aggregates using stone from the adjacent quarry. It has a capacity of up to 20,000 tonnes of crushed rock per day shipped by road and water.

  • Cimenterie Delwart

    The Delwart cement company at Tournai was founded in 1926 and at one time employed 170 people. Production included quicklime and cement. This shaft kiln remains in derelict condition whilst still advertising the manufacturer many years after closure.


  • Stranger in the landscape.

    The Ronquières Inclined Plane on the Brussels-Charleroi Canal has a length of 1,432 m and lifts boats through 67.73 m vertically. It consists of two large caissons mounted on rails. Each caisson measures 91 m long by 12 m wide and has a water depth betwee…

  • Monceau-sur-Sambre

    Office of the éclusier at Monceau-sur-Sambre.

  • Silos Des Bastions

    These reinforced concrete silos adjacent to the Scheldt at Tournai were originally built to hold locally produced cement. The first four were constructed in 1922 and the second four during World War II. After the cement works closed they were converted fo…


50 items in total