• Wall ornamentation

    The use of terracotta ornamentation for walls and pillars was common in the late nineteenth and first quarter of the twentieth century. Much has been replaced or swept away these days, so it was good to find this survivor in Mill Lane, Hyde. There had bee…

  • Hathern Station Brickworks Ltd , Cliff Works, Tamworth 02

    The Hathern Station Brick and Terra Cotta Company was established in 1874. The business flourished and 'Hathernware' and glazed 'faience' was exported worldwide during the first three decades of the twentieth century and many cinemas were faced and decora…

  • Bradford Colliery

    From Wikipedia. Bradford Colliery Brickworks operated on the site of the Bradford Colliery in Bradford, Manchester, between the early 1870s and 1903. To exploit the seams of fireclay found between the coal seams, colliery manager Edward Williams built a…

  • Burnley

    Glazed brick from the Burnley area. It has been suggested that this may have been produced at Towneley Colliery.

  • Red Hill Bank Brick Works, Rocester

    Red Hill Bank brickworks was established in the 1890s alongside another brickworks, the Rocester Works adjacent to Rocester Station. By the 1922 the two establishments appear to have amalgamated into one works which was still in business in the mid 1950s.…

  • B & S. W. B. W.

    This one is a mystery. It was found during an archaeological excavation at Ashburys in Manchester. The other bricks found in the same context appear to have been made in the period 1875-1885 but research into works of that time has so far failed to sugges…

  • Pope & Pearson

    This is probably from Pope & Pearson's Altofts brickworks between Wakefield and Castleford. It was seen in the bottom of Bullholme Lock at Castleford and has been stained grey/blue by prolonged immersion in the Aire & Calder Navigation. It should be red!

  • National Coal Board, Wombwell Main Colliery

    Found at an old colliery site near Barnsley, this brick had not moved far from the colliery brickworks at Wath-on-Dearne.

  • Walley, Silverdale

    In 1924 T. E. Walley Ltd. purchased the brick and tile works of John Nash Peake in Cemetery Road, Silverdale which were run as Rosemary Hill Tileries. G.H. Downing & Co. Ltd. bought the business in 1975 but this only lasted until 1981 when the works was s…

  • GC&S

    Seen in a yard at Newent, Gloucestershire, I have not been able to identify the manufacturer, The obverse of the brick was stamped CLAYTON & Co PATENT which refers to the manufacturer of the brickmaking machine.

  • Whitfield, Gloucester

    G. T. Whitfield opened his brickworks on Robins Wood Hill, Tuffley, Gloucester, in the early 1890s. It was closed by the 1950s.

  • Pressard

    'Pressard' was a trade name used by the Aldridge Brick Tile & Coal Co. Ltd, Walsall.

  • B W Blades, West Bromwich

    A coping brick seen on a canal bridge over the Hereford and Gloucester Canal at Sutton Marsh. Brownlow William Blades appears on the 1881 census as a "Blue Brick Manufacturer", living in Swan Road, West Bromwich. His son had the same name, as did his fat…

  • Ebbw Vale

    A product of the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Co. Limited.

  • Holmer Works

    The Holmer Brick Works was part of the Hereford Brick and Tile Company.

  • Gardiner & Hammond, Shrigley, Macclesfield

    You would have thought that the die maker would have spelt the name of one of the principals correctly, but in this case Gardiner has become Gardener. In 1870 William Hammond went into partnership with his brother-in-law Robert Gardiner to work fireclay i…

  • Roe & Son, Hanford

    Research has so far revealed almost nothing about Roe and Son. There are entries in the trade directories for 1875 and 1879 for Rowe and Son, Hanford.

  • E Glover, Hanford

    The Hanford brickworks of Sarah Glover operated from at least 1851 until 1871 and it appears from this brick that her daughter Emily Shelly Glover took over at some point after that date. Emily married William Adams Peake and by 1881 he was running the w…

448 items in total