tarboat

tarboat

Posted on 08/26/2016


Photo taken on April 16, 2016



See also...

Old bricks Old bricks


Staffordshire Staffordshire


New Flickr Survivors New Flickr Survivors



Keywords

industry
brick
staffordshire
walsall wood


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

122 visits

Walsall Wood Colliery

Walsall Wood Colliery
Walsall Wood Colliery was sunk in 1874 on a site close to the Daw End Canal just north of Coppice Road. A brickworks was established just to the north of the pit and a canal basin was constructed for brick traffic. There was a very large circular kiln (presumably continuous) with central chimney. The Earl of Bradford as mineral owner was paid a royalty of 1/- per 1000 bricks manufactured. The works is shown on the OS maps from just after the First World War but it is believed that the works was already closed by 1911. The site had been cleared by 1938.

Comments