Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
- Photo replaced on August 4, 2014
Boothferry Bridge was built between 1926 and 1929. It replaced the ferry service by boat, from which the district took its name - Boothferry. This swing bridge crosses the Ouse and opens to allow shipping to pass through on its way to Selby amongst other places. Until the building of the M62 motorway and the Ouse bridge, it was the only point at which to cross the river without a round trip to Selby. This bridge carried most of the traffic traveling south from the port of Hull. The Humber bridge has relieved a lot of the southbound traffic and the M62 now carries the bulk of the traffic that otherwise would have used Boothferry bridge.