Posted on 12/07/2013

Photo taken on April 30, 2009

See also...

Old bricks Old bricks

Wales Cymru Wales Cymru


denbighshire wales

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

670 visits

Monk & Newell Ruabon

Monk & Newell Ruabon
Monk and Newell were Liverpool based contractors who in 1883 established their brickworks in Ruabon north of the current B5605 Ruabon Road and west of the railway. The 1899 OS map shows 20 kilns and extensive buildings with a chain ginney leading from the adjacent claypit. Thomas Monk died in 1889 and John Newell continued to operate the works. The business had closed by 1917 when the works was requisitioned by the Ministry of Munitions and the lease was sold to Thomas Dugdale Stubbs who sold it on to his own company The North Wales Brick & Tile Co which operated until 1929 manufacturing under the trade name Rubric.