Alan Telford

Alan Telford

Posted on 06/16/2013

Photo taken on June 16, 2013


black and white
reversal process
ilford process
gone wrong
large format

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

220 visits

Film disaster

Film disaster
I have been itching to try out a black and white reversal process and finally assembled all the chemicals on Saturday. Getting the sulphuric acid was particularly difficult, the people in shops think you are some kind of psychopath! Fortunately a friend provided some battery acid he bought in a French hypermarket.

I followed the instructions at plus using the developer recipie from the old Ilford Manual of Photography. I aske my daughter to be the model and used some of the Chinese LF 100 iso film you can buy on ebay.

When I opened the developing tank after dev and bleach the images looked pretty thin, but things really went wrong when I chose to ignore the instructions and used a non hardening fixer after the final development. The emulsion practically fell apart, hence all the weird black lines on this image.

Lesson learnt, use a hardening fixer. Fortunately the images were pretty poor before that went wrong. Next time I will try a shorter first development time than 12 minutes, which should give a fuller tone range.