Greece - Crete, Eleftherna: Sotiras Christos Church

Kreta - Crete - Κρήτη

Among Jaap van 't Veen's albums


Location:


Greece - Crete, Eleftherna: Sotiras Christos Church

Sotiras Christos Church (Our Saviour Christ) is a Byzantine church dating back to the 10th century. The church was built with materials from an earlier basilica of the 6th century, which was located on the same site and most probably the seat of the bishop of Eleftherna. Next to the church is a small cemetery. Sotiras Christos Church has a cruciform architecture with a freely shaped cross and a cupola. On the top of the dome is a wonderful fresco of Jesus from the 12th century.

Location:


Greece - Crete, Heraklion: Agios Minas Cathedral

The Agios Minas Cathedral is a Greek Orthodox Cathedral, serving as the seat of the Archbishop of Crete. It was built over the time period of 1862-1895. The outbreak of the Cretan revolution in 1866 demanded the stopping of its construction, which continued in 1883. It is one of the most magnificent and impressive churches in Greece, with a capacity of 8.000 people. The church is of a cruciform type with a dome base, while internally there are also elements of a three aisle basilica. The inside of the chur…

Location:


Greece - Heraklion, Agios Titos Church

The church of Agios Titos (Saint Titus Church) is one of the most important monuments in Crete. It can be found on a lovely square in the city centre of Heraklion. The original church of Agios Titos on this location was built in the 10th century by the Byzantine Emperor Nicephorus Phocas, who liberated Crete from the Arabs. During the Turkish occupation of Crete, the church of Agios Titos was turned into a mosque, named Vezir mosque. During its many historical phases the church suffered substantial damage…

Location:


Greece - Heraklion, Venetian harbour

The first attempt to create a harbour in the bay of Heraklion (in that time called Chandax) took place during the Arab period (9th-10th century). Following the restoration of Crete to the Byzantine Empire in the year of 961, Chandax developed into a thriving city and its harbour was consequently fortified and improved. When the island fell into the hands of the Venetians (1204), Candia (as the Venetians called both Heraklion and the whole island) became "the other Venice of the East". Especially during th…

Location:


Greece - Heraklion, Agios Dimitrios

Agios Dimitrios is a small Orthodox church. It is a real hidden gem, located a little bit out of the way. I tried to find any further information, but didn’t succeed; even the tourist information centre of Heraklion couldn’t tell anything about the church.

Location:


Greece - Lasithi

One of the few remaining windmills on the Lasithi Plateau, located on an altitude of more than 800 metres in the eastern part of Crete. The plateau was famous for its thousands of windmills with their typical white sails. As a matter of fact they were more wind-pumps, a local invention that have been used for two centuries to irrigate the land. Despite their vast number in the past, most of them are not used any longer, but replaced by modern diesel and electrical pumps. However, there is renewed interest…

Location:


Greece - Spinalonga

Spinalonga (officially known as Kalydon) is an arid and barren rocky islet lying at the mouth of the natural port of Elounda and opposite to the village of Plaka. From the year of 1204 Crete was ruled by the Republic of Venice. To protect the port of Elounda against the Ottomans they built a large fortress on Spinalonga in the late 16th century. Crete was conquered in 1669 by the Ottoman Turks, but Spinalonga remained Venetian until the year of 1715. After that, the island was occupied by the Ottomans.…

Location:


Greece - Mochlos

Mochlos is located on the north coast of Crete, between Agios Nikolaos and Sitia. Only being accessible along one of the two narrow winding roads from the main road, it still is one of the few truly quiet places left on the island. The heart of the village, where all life is concentrating, is its quiet bay, lined with tavernas and also offering a small beach. A main feature of Mochlos is the island of the same name that is only 150m from the shore. It was probably still connected to the 'mainland' in Mino…

Location:


Greece - Vai

The palm forest of Vai, is considered being one of the most beautiful natural sights in Crete. Vai is not the only natural palm forest in Crete, but with an area of approximately 250.000 square metres and about 5.000 palm trees it is certainly the largest, even in Europe. Scientists have proven that the Vai palm trees are an endemic species known as Phoenix theophrasti, or Cretan Date Palm. There have been palm trees in Crete since ancient times, as historical sources attest. The name Vai comes from ‘vayi…
20 items in total