Nederland: bruggen en sluizen
Pictures of Dutch bridges locks, sluices and other waterworks.
Apeldoorn - De Freule
‘De Freule’ is not just one of the more than sixty bridges that cross the ‘Apeldoorns Kanaal’. It is a special bridge for two reasons: firstly it is only a pedestrian/bicycle bridge and secondly it is as a matter of fact also an art work. The 90 meter long bridge - made of iron and bronze - was designed by Tirza Verrips, an artist living in Apledoorn. It was built and opened in the year of 2000. The bridge connects the city centre of Apeldoorn with a new built neighbourhood called ‘Welgelegen’ on the eastern bank of the canal. More than 200 years ago an estate with the same name was located in that area. It was owned by the famous Dutch admiral ‘J.H. van Kinsbergen’, where he was taken care of for many years by three ‘freules’ (dames/peeress). Many years later the bridge was named after the ‘freules’.
Nederland - Kasteel Neerijnen
The first Kasteel Neerijnen (Castle Neerijnen) was probably built around 1350 and was originally called Klingelenburg . It was the first noble house in Neerijnen. The inhabitants of the castle carried the name “De Cock van Neerijnen”. The present castle was built around 1600 on the foundations of the older one. It was radically rebuilt in the 18th century and was extended in the late 19th century. Together with the Kasteel Waardenburg (PiP4) built in 1265, it forms one estate. From 1700 onwards both castles have always had the same owners. After the “De Cock” family, the estate was owned by various noble families. At the end of 1827, the estate came into the hands of “Frederik Willem Floris Theodorus baron van Pallandt”. This family owned the estate until 1971. On May 6 of that year the last baroness of “Pallandt van Neerijnen en Waardenburg” died. Three years later the estate came into the hands of the Stichting Gelders Landschap & Kasteelen , a foundation for the protection of nature and landscape in the province of Gelderland. From 1980 to 2019, Kasteel Neerijnen was in use as the town hall of the former municipality of Neerijnen. The castle garden - situated between the castle and the reformed church of Neerijnen - had been seriously neglected for a long time. Since 1996 this garden has been renovated and maintained by volunteers, taking into account the original layout. The garden consists of several parts, including a herb garden, vegetable garden, flower garden and a rose garden.
Nederland - Griendtsveen, ophaalbrug Ericaweg
Fall along the Griendtsveencanal with the drawbridge nearby the Ericaweg, one of the four original drawbridges, dating back to 1905. More info about the bridge (Dutch): rijksmonumenten.nl/monument/523254/ophaalbrug+ericaweg/griendtsveen More info about Griendtsveen: members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/240aff
Nederland - Heusden, inner harbour
Heusden is located on the river (Bergsche) Maas. The history of the town began around the year 1200 with the establishment of an urban settlement. During the Eighty Years’ War ( Tachtigjarige Oorlog : 1568-1648) against the political and religious hegemony of of Spain, massive fortifications - with earthwork ramparts with bastions, moats and ravelins - were built on the orders of Willem van Oranje . Heusden became an important garrison town with thousands of soldiers. Towards the end of the World War II Heusden was seriously damaged. The fortress has been fully restored since 1968. The restoration of the town was based on the 17th century drawings made by the famous Amsterdam cartographer Joan Blaeu. The city harbour of Heusden was built during the construction of the fortifications after 1580. In 1904 the inner harbour was filled in to create a city park, but in the 1970’s it was restored to its original form. Nowadays it is one of the picturesque corners of Heusen with a white drawbridge and a black postmill (one of three on the ramparts).
Nederland - Marken, Wilhelminabrug
Marken is one of the most visited tourist sights in the Netherlands. It is a former island in the so called 'Zuiderzee'. Marken is well-known for its characteristic green coloured wooden houses, pictoresque harbour and traditional costumes. The 'Wilhelminabrug' - ca. 1850 - is one of the five wooden drawbridges in Marken and is situated in the 'Kerkbuurt' (Church Area), with the Protestant Church (1904). See for more info about Marken: members.virtualtourist.com/vt/tfr/1/312/4/1ba6f2/
Nederland - De Rijp, stadhuis
If visiting nowadays De Rijp or nearby Graft it is almost impossible to imagine that herring, whale and merchant ships from these villages could sail directly to the sea. These nautical activities brought unprecedented prosperity to the villages. The magnificent city halls of the Rijp and Graft (PiP) and the homes of wealthy ship owners bear witness to the style and glory of the past steeped in a long tradition of whale and herring fishing. After draining of the surrounding lakes the herring industry disappeared and it was done with the wealth of the villages. The town hall of De Rijp was designed by architect-engineer Jan Adriaanszoon Leeghwater and is dating back to 1630 (the one in Graft is from 1613). The building survived a huge fire in 1654 that damaged most of the town. Nowadays is no longer used by the government, but there are still wedding and other official meetings. The ground floor was a weigh house, now housing the local tourist information centre. (On the foreground of the picture the so called Dambrug)
Nederland - Sint Maartensbrug, Stolpbrug
Making a bike trip in North Holland, I came across the ‘Stolpbrug’ just outside the village of Sint Maartensbrug. At first glance it didn’t look like a bridge and is located somewhere ‘in the middle of nowhere’ over the ‘Grote Sloot’. The structure is quite unique and can only be used by pedestrians and cyclists. After some research I found that the ‘Stolpbrug’ is an artwork designed by Joke Zaal. The ‘bridge’ is a monument to mark the 400 years of existence of the ‘Zijpepolder’. The skeleton of the ‘Stolpbrug’ has the shape of a ‘stolpboerderij’ (haubarg), which is typical for this part of the province. Former Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands opened this ‘artwork bridge’ in May 1997. The ‘bridge’ is made of African azobé wood and has a height of thirteen metres. Except a bridge it is also a platform for cultural events and has a lookout with great views over the flat polders.
Nederland - Zuiderwoude, Kerkbrug
Drawbridge in the village of Zuiderwoude; a small settlement with about 300 inhabitants, which is located less than 10 km’s from Amsterdam. The wooden bridge, over a stream called ‘Zwet’, dates back to the Middle Ages and was restored in 1983.
Nederland - Ommen, Giethemer Kerkbrug
This drawbridge over the river Regge is called 'Giethemer Kerkbrug' and was built in 1907. People of the hamlet Giethmen used the bridge as a short cut, when going to church in Ommen (kerkbrug = church bridge).