Nederland - Texel, Het Noorden

Nederland: wind- en watermolens


Pictures of Dutch wind- and watermills.

Nederland - IJlst, De Rat

06 Sep 2010 147 76 2929
Sawmill (houtzaagmolen) De Rat in IJlst was originally built in the seventeenth century at Zaanstreek and moved to IJlst in 1828.

Nederland - Woudsend, De Jager

06 Sep 2010 94 45 2616
Sawmill (houtzaagmolen) De Jager is a typical Frisian mill, built most probably in 1719. On the right hand side the former miller house.

Nederland - Nijetrijne, De Rietvink

28 Jul 2012 76 57 2247
The province of Friesland in the Netherlands had till about 1850 more than 2.400 of windmills. There are only 124 left; most of them go back to the years between 1850 and 1900. Modern technology and machines has made them redundant. One of the most beautiful located polder draining mills is ‘De Rietvink’ on the banks of the ‘Jonker (or Helema) Vaart’ and at the edge of a nature area and former peat extraction area the ‘Rottige Meente’. The ‘Rietvink’ is an octagonal smock mill and was built in 1855. It served until 1964 as a polder draining mill, when it became a holiday home. The mill was restored in 2009/2010 and since June of that year ‘De Rietvink’ can be used again. The mill is open for visitors and has a lovely teagarden. Next to the mill lies an old lock to the river ‘De Scheene’.

Nederland - Apeldoorn / Wenum, Oranjemolen

31 Jul 2007 65 33 2270
Windmill Oranjemolen ('t Haasje) in Wenum (north of Apeldoorn), after the restoration.

Nederland - Apeldoorn, Wenumse Enk

29 Apr 2012 85 68 2940
Wenum is more of a hamlet, coming into being on a east-west ridge of sand. The landscape around Wenum is characterized by streams, fields and meadows close to each other. This small scale landscape changes gradually eastwards into an open agricultural landscape. Characteristic is the Wenumse Enk ('upland field’), a large spherical open field on the sand ridge. Landmark of this Enk is the windmill ‘Oranjemolen’, also called ‘t Haasje’ (PiP).

Nederland - Apeldoorn / Wenum, watermolen

17 May 2009 34 17 2019
Wenum - watermill: built in or even before the year 1313 it was first a grain mill. In the 18th century the mill was used as a copper mill. In 1917 the stone building was built and the mill used again as a flourmill

Nederland - Beekbergen, Ruitersmolen

11 Aug 2007 18 9 1766
Ruitersmolen, watermill nearby Beekbergen, dating back to the year of 1606.

Nederland - Loenen, Middelste Molen

30 Sep 2005 24 24 2294
'De Middelste Molen': old water mill along the Voorsterbeek or Loenense Molenbeek. The mill already started in the year of 1622 producing paper and still is a small, but working paper factory. It is the only authentic paper mill in the Netherlands.

Nederland - Staverden, watermolen

02 Apr 2011 35 35 1918
The watermill of Staverden is located on the place of a former flour mill along the Staverdense Beek. The oldest flour mill on Staverden dates back to 1307. The mill was demolished in 1923 and two years later replaced by the present farmhouse. The waterway was restored in 1989 by a provincial foundation for preservation nature and cultural heritage called ‘Het Geldersch Landschap’, the present owner of the mill. In 2000 a small generator was attached to the waterwheel in order to generate some green electricity for the surrounding buildings.

Nederland - Harderwijk, De Hoop

19 Jan 2011 77 52 2369
The history of the ‘De Hoop Mill’ in Harderwijk can be traced back to 1621, when the first mill was built. The original mill, located at a different location, burned down in 1969. The restoration - on its present location at the old ‘Vissershaven’ (Fishermen’s harbour) - started in 1992, when an old mill structure was purchased from the eastern town of Oldenzaal. This mill originally came from Weesp and was built in 1773. ‘De Hoop’ (the Hope) was rebuilt and the wings turned again in the year of 1998. A year later the mill was officially reopened and is now open for visitors. More info (Dutch): www.harderwijksemolen.nl

Nederland - Hattem, De Fortuin

11 Oct 2010 38 45 2282
Hattem - a small, but old, city on the Veluwe - has had its own flour mill ever since the Middle Ages, which was very important. Whenever a city in former ages was besieged, the food supply was not supposed to be at risk. ‘De Fortuin’ (The Fortune) was (and is) located within the city walls of Hattem ‘De Fortuin’ is a so called smock mill. In 1808 the mill was blown down by a severe storm and most probably rebuilt in 1816. In 1852, according to a plaque above the entrance door, it became its brick base. In the 20th century the mill was out of use for many years. In 1970/71 it was completely restored and nowadays it is used again for grinding wheat and can be visited on Saturdays. More info (Dutch): www.molendefortuin.nl

Nederland - Terwolde, ‘De Ooievaar’

03 Jul 2010 61 50 3294
The current mill is the third one at this place. The first mill was a so called ‘grondzeiler’ with wings which came about two feet above the ground. The mill was built in 1854.by Abraham Ledeboer. Five years later the mill was sold to family Dieperink. In 1896 the original mill was destroyed by fire. The second mill was a thatched stage mill and was used by the same family till the year of 1948, when it was bought by family Vorderman, well known millers in the region. In 1967, still in operation, the mill was restored for the first time. Four years later the mill was destroyed again by fire. A local foundation took the initiative for rebuilding the windmill in Terwolde, 100 meters to the west of the old mill site. For the reconstruction the octagonal buck from the ‘Holtermansmolen’ from Deventer (most probably built in 1640 as a polder mill) was used. In 1990 the reconstruction of ‘De Ooievaar’ (the Stork) was completed . Since then it houses one of the seven remaining operational flour mills in the Netherlands. But on 31 August 2015 the mill burned down again. Eearly May 2018- after the reconstruction - 'De Ooievaar' was opened to the public again.

Nederland - Vorden, Watermill Hackfort

01 Jul 2009 38 20 2171
Watermill nearby Castle Hackfort (Vorden) along the 'Hackfortse Beek'. The mill is dating back to the year 1700.

Nederland - Vorden, Watermolen Hackfort

03 May 2020 82 66 413
The Watermolen Hackfort is located on the estate Hackfort , close to the castle of the same name. The mill was first mentioned in the year 1442, while the current square stone building was built around 1700. The mill is equipped with a water wheel with blades and is powered by water from the Hackfortse Beek. The water wheel drives millstones to grind grain. The water mill also supplies electricity to the electricity network. In 1952 the mill was shut down because of the poor condition of the wheel and building. At that time the stream also contained too little water to power the mill. In 1981, the estate (with castle and mill) passed into the hands of the Natuurmonumenten and was refurbished. After the water board had ensured that sufficient water flowed through the Hackfortse Beek, a new water wheel was installed in 1998. Since that moment the mill has been in use. Volunteer millers are sawing wood and grinding grain for cattle feed on hydropower. On Saturdays and on special occasions the mill is open to visitors.

Nederland - Vorden, Lindesche Molen

28 Oct 2014 116 108 2597
The ‘Lindesche Molen’ (also called ‘Molen Ons Belang’) is an octagonal ‘belt mill’. The ‘belt (= a man made hill) for this mill has a height of 4.20 metres. These ‘belts’ were made in order to provide more wind for the mill. The present mill was built in 1890 on the site of an even older mill (1856), which burned down. The mill wasn’t used for many many years. In the year of 1971 it was restored and the sails could turn again. Twenty years later mill stones were placed and the mill was ready for grinding flour again. The ‘Lindesche Molen’ is situated in the hamlet Linde, nearby the town of Vorden and along the ‘Achtkastelen route’ (Eight Castles route); a bike route along eight castles/mansions.

Nederland - Laag-Keppel, watermolen

21 Apr 2014 56 49 1840
Laag-Keppel became city rights as ‘Keppel’ in the year of 1404. With about 500 inhabitants is one of the smallest cities in the Netherlands. Laag-Keppel is located in the so called Achterhoek on the river Oude IJssel between Doetinchem and Doesburg. Since the 14th century Laag-Keppel has a watermill. The current mill was built in the 19th century and until 1945 it was in operation. From that year an electric motor was driving the grinder due to a lack of water. In 1968 a plan was made to grind the mill on its original way by hydropower. Therefore a small windmill - a so called ‘spinnenkopmolen’ - was transferred from the province of Friesland with the intention of lowering the water level in the mill pond. Although it doesn’t work properly, it offers a unique watermill-windmill combination in a very peaceful setting. Main picture: watermill PiP: windmill with mill pond For more info about the mills (Dutch): keppelsemolens.nl

Nederland - Arnhem, Witte Watermolen

11 Oct 2015 65 57 1772
The ‘Witte Watermolen’ (White Watermill) is a flour mill in ‘Park Sonsbeek’ along the ‘St. Jansbeek’. The current mill was built around the year of 1470 on the location of an older mill (Jammerloes Molen), commissioned by the Benedictine Abbey of St. Salvador in Prüm, owner of the land around the brook. Nowadays the ‘Witte Watermolen’ is the last remnant - and only functional one - of the ten watermills along the ‘St. Jansbeek’. Further upstream stands the ‘Begijnenmolen’, which is not used anymore, but houses the ‘Nederlands Watermuseum’. The ‘Witte Watermolen’ has been restored (1966-1967) and is equipped with three pairs of millstones two of which are used for grinding grain. A professional miller and volunteers are operating the mill several times a week. The mill has a shop, which sells flour and freshly made pancakes.

Nederland - Hulshorst, De Maagd

05 Aug 2018 107 89 1013
Windmill De Maagd (the Virgin) is a smock mill, which was built in 1894. The flour mill is located on the outskirts of the Dutch village and surrounded by wheat fields. After a first restoration in 1960 it fell back into disrepair. After a second restoration - 1988 - the mill is in working order again. De Maagd has two flocks of millstones that are used to grind grain on a professional basis. One pair is driven by wind and the other has an alectric engine. The mill is quite unique as it used on a daily base. The flour of the mill is delivered to bakers and (pancake) restaurants, but also to other mill shops, hotels and hospitals.

69 items in total