Fortescue38's photos


  • All Saints Church, Pavement, York

    "...The City of York Afghanistan Commemorative Appeal was launched by The York Press in 2011...I was then asked by The Press...to create a lasting memorial..in particular three York servicemen who died in the Afghan conflict... The main focus of the wind…

  • All Saints Church, Pavement, York

    The C19th carved stone font with its painted lid is at the back of the south aisle.

  • All Saints Church, Pavement, York

    The unique 14th century West Window contains scenes from the Passion of Christ. The panels showing the nailing to the cross and the Deposition (2nd and 4th lights) are outstanding. In the right-hand light is a good example of an Arma Christi, instrument…


  • All Saints Church, Pavement, York

    Wasn't he told it's rude to stick your tongue out? The area known as Pavement might have been the first York street to be paved in Medieval times. The church here dates back to 14th century.

  • Micklegate

    Several shops along Micklegate were decorated with knitted items - no idea why!

  • Low Ousegate

    St Michael’s Church is Grade 1 listed and stands on Spurriergate. It dates from the 12th century with elements from the 14th and 15th centuries. It was reduced in size in 1821 by JB and W Atkinson. The foundation stone of the new wall of the east end was…


  • The Treasurer's House, York

    The first Treasurer for York Minster was appointed in 1091 when the office was established by Archbishop of York Thomas of Bayeux, but all that remains of his original house is an external wall which forms part of Grays Court and sections of 12th-century…

  • The Treasurer's House, York

    Ancient timbers uncovered during restoration work.

  • The Treasurer's House, York



  • The Treasurer's House, York

    Basket or tray with metal frame sewn with multi-coloured beads. The basket is formed of two layers: the lower layer is a lattice design of crystal beads, the upper twenty small squares filled with colourful flower heads. The tray was in a very poor sta…

  • The Treasurer's House, York

    Basket or tray with metal frame sewn with multi-coloured beads. The basket is formed of two layers: the lower layer is a lattice design of crystal beads, the upper twenty small squares filled with colourful flower heads. The tray was in a very poor sta…

  • The Treasurer's House, York

    The Drawing Room was formed c.1900 by the removal of the partition between the former dining room and library; the fireplace was moved to its present central position, and the door surround from the partition was reused at the entrance to the Court Room t…


  • Ashbourne, Derbyshire

    Sign outside the Clock Shop on St. John Street.

  • Ashbourne, Derbyshire


  • Ashbourne, Derbyshire

    The Green Man was built in the 1750s to service the growing coaching trade in Ashbourne and was the Town’s premier coaching Inn. As the coaching trade reduced in the 1820s, the owner of the Green Man bought the neighbouring Blackmoor’s Head Inn – now the…


  • Ashbourne, Derbyshire

    Around Victoria Square, Ashbourne. This was originally a gas lamp and may be the origin of the name for the nearby Lamplight restaurant.

  • Ashbourne, Derbyshire

    Behind the Lamplight Restaurant, Ashbourne. Built in 1493 the building was first used as a coach house, then a hostelry called the Tiger Inn. It retains all the original beams and character. It may take its name from the old gas lamp in the adjacent phot…

  • Ashbourne, Derbyshire

    The area around Victoria Square.


96 items in total