Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
The "Parrot" is the oldest pub in Canterbury and one of the oldest buildings in the city. It was originally known as St Radigund's Hall and was built on Roman foundations in 1370 just inside the Roman City Wall. Much of this wall survives today and forms the north wall of St. Marys Church, which is next door to the Parrot. It was to be demolished in 1937 having been condemned as unfit for human habitation but as demolition began it was discovered that in fact there appeared to be seven dwellings fitted inside one building. Someone must have seen sense and the building was saved; during restoration the building was found to contain many fine architectural details dating back to the 14th century. The building was bought in 2008 by Young & Co.'s Brewery plc and following refurbishment Young's renamed the pub the "Parrot" after hearing local rumours that it went by this name in previous centuries! There seems to be no actual evidence of this. The place is of course haunted!