Kaysgeog

Kaysgeog

Posted on 02/23/2010


Photo taken on February 23, 2010



See also...

Architect Basil Spence Architect Basil Spence



Keywords

architecture
basilspence
University of Edinburgh
Basil
1960s
modernism
library
edinburgh
university
meadows
Spence


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
Attribution + non Commercial + no derivative

65 visits

Edinburgh University main library

Edinburgh University main library
The library building from Meadow Walk in the Meadows public park.

Edinburgh University’s Main Library opened in late summer 1967 and was designed by Sir Basil Spence’s architectural partnership Spence, Glover & Ferguson. Demolition work on the George Square site for the library began in November 1964. Many have never forgiven the university for redeveloping most of the original buildings in the square which dates from 1766. Basil Spence (1907-76) was appointed planning consultant for the university and was first asked to design a new library in 1955.

Described as ‘mannered modernism at its best’ in the Edinburgh volume of The Buildings of Scotland, the main library is ‘A’ listed. Originally it cost £2.1m (including £400,000 for furnishings and equipment). It accommodated two million books, with 2,500 reader places and 114 staff. At completion, it was the largest university library in Britain www.basilspence.org.uk/learning/buildings/edinburgh-unive....

Currently the main library is part way through a £60m redevelopment project scheduled to end in April 2012 www.is.ed.ac.uk/MLRP/index.html. Key parts have been completed and found favour in the student newspaper www.journal-online.co.uk/article/5801-a-room-of-ones-own and with former student Ian Rankin
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8246338.stm

Comments