Alan H

Alan H

Posted on 06/11/2013


Photo taken on October  8, 2011


See also...


Keywords

spain
roman
catalunya
tarraco
tarragons


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
Attribution

178 visits

Pretori Tower

Pretori Tower
The Pretori Tower was a part of the provincial Roman Forum built in the first century AD during the reign of the Emperor Vespasian. It was a large lateral tower with stairs which connected the different levels of the monumental complex formed by the circus, the square of the representation and the cult enclosure.
With the restoration of the city in 1129, the tower was adapted as a residence of one of the lords of the city, the Norman Robert Bordet, who was Prince of Tarragona. Some members of royalty stayed for short periods at the Castle of the King or Pretori Tower such as Blanca of Anjou, wife of James II and the king himself who restored the building.
The lower two floors are Roman, the upper floor medieval.
Tarragona, Spain.
October 2011.

Comments