See also...


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

22 visits

The Café de la Paix, at the Boulevard des Capucines.

The Café de la Paix, at the Boulevard des Capucines.
Architect: Alfred Armand
Paris, France
Translate into English

Nouchetdu38 has particularly liked this photo


Comments
 Demetrius Chryssikos
Demetrius Chryssikos club
Parisian cafés serve as a center of social and culinary life in Paris. They have existed since the 17th century, and serve as the meeting place, neighborhood hub, conversation matrix, rendez-vous spot, and networking source, a place to relax or to refuel - the social and political pulse of the city. Parisian cafés show the Parisian way of sitting undisturbed for a couple of hours, watching things happening and people going by.
Typical Paris cafés are not coffee shops. They generally come with a complete kitchen offering a restaurant menu with meals for any time of the day, a full bar and even a wine selection. Among the drinks customarily served are the "grande crème" (large cup of white coffee), wine by the glass, beer ("un demi", half a pint, or "une pression", a glass of draught beer), "un pastis" (made with aniseed flavour spirit), and "un espresso" (a small cup of black coffee). Drinking at the bar is cheaper than doing so at one of the tables. The café sometimes doubles as a "bureau de tabac", a tobacco shop that sells a wide variety of merchandise, including metro tickets and prepaid phone cards.
Some of the most recognizable Paris cafés include Café de la Paix, Les Deux Magots, Café de Flore, Café de la Rotonde, La Coupole, Fouquet's, Le Deauville, as well as a new wave represented by Café Beaubourg and Drugstore Publicis. The oldest still in operation is the Café Procope, which opened in 1686.
6 weeks ago. Edited 6 weeks ago.
 Demetrius Chryssikos
Demetrius Chryssikos club
The Café de la Paix (French pronunciation: ​[kafe də la pɛ]) is a famous café located on the northwest corner of the intersection of the Boulevard des Capucines with the Place de l'Opéra in the 9th arrondissement of Paris. Designed by the architect Alfred Armand [fr], who also designed the InterContinental Paris Le Grand Hotel in which the café is located, the florid interior decor is only exceeded by that of Charles Garnier's Opéra (located across the plaza).
The Café de la Paix opened June 30, 1862, to serve the Grand-Hôtel de la Paix (named after the nearby rue de la Paix), whose name was later shortened to Grand-Hôtel. It serviced visitors of Expo exhibition in 1867. Its proximity to the Opéra attracted many famous clients, including Jules Massenet, Émile Zola, and Guy de Maupassant. The Café is also the setting for the poem "The Absinthe Drinkers" by the Canadian poet, Robert Service.
During the Belle Époque, visitors to the Café included Sergei Diaghilev, and the Prince of Wales and future King of the United Kingdom, Edward VII.
A radio studio was later installed in the Café, which broadcast the program "This is Paris"
to the United States.
On August 22, 1975, the Café was declared a historic site by the French government.
6 weeks ago.

Sign-in to write a comment.