Alan Drury

Alan Drury

Posted on 05/12/2017


Photo taken on April 21, 2017



See also...


Keywords

Steam Locomotive
LMS Class 5MT
Scotland
Scottish Highlands
Mallaig


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

48 visits

LMS class 5MT 45212 arrives at Mallaig with the Jacobite from Ft.William 21st April 2017

LMS class 5MT 45212 arrives at Mallaig with the Jacobite from Ft.William 21st April 2017
The London Midland and Scottish Railway Class 5 4-6-0, almost universally known as the Black Five, is a class of steam locomotive. It was introduced by William Stanier in 1934 and 842 were built between then and 1951. Members of the class survived to the last day of steam on British Railways in 1968, and eighteen are preserved. This class of locomotive was often a favourite amongst drivers and railway fans.

The Black Fives were a mixed traffic locomotive, a "do-anything go-anywhere" type, designed by Stanier, who had previously been with the GWR. In his early LMS days, he designed his Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 in which he experimented with the GWR school of thought on locomotive design. A number of details in this design he would never use again realising the superiority of details not used on the GWR. Stanier realised that there was a need for larger locomotives. These were to be the LMS version of the GWR Halls but not a copy, as the Hall was too wide to run most places in Britain. They shared similar cylinder arrangement (two outside), internal boiler design and size and 6 foot driving wheel diameters.

In their early days the locomotives were known as the "Black Staniers" from their black livery, in contrast to Stanier's other class of 4-6-0, the LMS Stanier Jubilee Class, which were painted crimson (and known until April 1935 as the "Red Staniers"). Later on, the nickname of the former became "Black Five", the number referring to the power classification. This was originally 5P5F, but from 1940 was shown on cabsides as the simple figure 5

There were a number of detail variations in the locomotives and they did not all remain in the same condition as built. Some locomotives built under British Railways administration were used as test beds for various design modifications with a view to incorporating the successful modifications in the Standard Classes of locomotives built from 1951 onwards. These modifications included outside Caprotti valve gear, roller bearings (both Timken and Skefco types) on the coupled and tender axles in varying combinations, and an experimental steel firebox. Other locomotives had modified draughting to "self clean" the smokebox (thereby reducing turn-around and disposal times and eliminating or mitigating one of the most unpopular jobs).

Only five Black Fives received names during their mainline working lives, a small percentage of the total produced, although seven more have been named in preservation (see below). All of those named in mainline service were named after Scottish regiments. Locomotive 5155 carried the name The Queen's Edinburgh for only two years during the Second World War. Some sources have noted that no photographic confirmation of this naming is extant, although this is neither unique to the class, nor unexpected given restrictions on photography during wartime. The evidence for the naming of the locomotive is set out in full in various sources.

LMS No. BR No. Name Date named Name removed
5154 45154 Lanarkshire Yeomanry 1937 1966 (withdrawal from service)
5155 45155 The Queen's Edinburgh 1942 1944 (remained in service until 1964)
5156 45156 Ayrshire Yeomanry 1936 1968 (withdrawal from service)
5157 45157 The Glasgow Highlander 1936 1962 (withdrawal from service)
5158 45158 Glasgow Yeomanry 1936 1964 (withdrawal from service)

Eighteen black 5's have been preserved with twelve of them being purchased directly from BR for preservation, the remaining six being rescued from Barry Scrapyard. Of the eighteen to be preserved fourteen have operated in preservation, the class members that haven't yet run being: 44901, 45163, 45293 & 45491. Twelve black fives have also been operated on the mainline in preservation: 44767, 44871, 44932, 45000, 45025, 45110, 45212, 45231, 45305, 45337, 45407 & 45428.

Of these 44871, 45212, 45231, 45305 & 45407 have mainline certificates. 45212 went out on Fri 3 March for its light and loaded test runs, 45428 is to be re-certified for mainline use following the completion of an overhaul at Grosmont, 45428 will however only be certified for use between Grosmont and Whitby with Battersby occasionally visited & 44806 is to be mainline certified for use between Grosmont, Whitby & Battersby following her next overhaul.

S Drury has particularly liked this photo


Comments
S Drury
S Drury
Very nice indeed Alan and one for my fav's folder with a YS

its ben a good while since i saw the Jacobite in Mallaig

Best wishes ... Steve
6 months ago.
Alan Drury has replied to S Drury
Thanks Steve we did stop at Glen Finnan but it was raining and had stopped by the time we got to Mallaig so we went on the platform to get it arriving.Best wishes Alan.
6 months ago.