David Morgan

David Morgan

Posted on 10/16/2015


Photo taken on January  8, 2013



See also...


Keywords

Canterbury
Churches


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

139 visits

Floodlights On History

Floodlights On History
In the cathedral at Canterbury in 1174 a fire destroyed the roof and badly damaged the upper stonework of the arcade and walls of the choir
and the eastern chapels and transepts of the cathedral.

During rebuilding in the period 1175-84 in a transitional gothic style known as early English, the eastern
axial chapel in the crypt was demolished and rebuilt in the same style and is now known as the eastern crypt.
This supported an enlarged Trinity chapel above, eventually to house the shrine of Archbishop Thomas Becket who was murdered in 1170.

Following the dissolution of the monastery in 1540 the eastern crypt was used as a coal store by the canons of
the cathedral.
Significant restoration commenced in the 19th century, including the discovery of the remarkable
wall paintings in St Gabriels chapel.

La Luna, rod bally have particularly liked this photo


Comments
Herb Riddle
Herb Riddle
Another lovely capture David. This high contrast capture certainly looks the part in this area of the cathedral. Most interesting description too. Herb
23 months ago.
David Morgan
David Morgan
Thanks, Herb; yes, the floodlighting is effective and certainly much better than it looking like a coal store! :))
23 months ago.
La Luna
La Luna
Wonderful shot! Becket was murdered in the Cathedral, yes???
22 months ago.