I found out today that Virgin mobile have a $60/month broadband deal. You get:
- 4Gig download per month with no excess fees, once you hit the 4G you are slowed down to 128k, but that is still 3 times faster than the shitty dial-up speed I get now.
- A landline number so you don't need a landline any more. I plan on disconnecting it when the 4 month contract is over. It also means that if I move house within the state I keep the same number.
- Free calls to landline numbers, local and national.
- Free calls to Virgin mobiles.
- Free delivery.
- No setup fee.
- 30 day trial, if I don't like it I just send it back.
- It uses an Ethernet port so I will be able to connect it to my Linux server and share the connection with the family.
- It has wireless built-in so I will be able to connect the Nintendo Wii to the internet.
Update (27/9/07 3.48pm):
I found out that I was the one that had to sign for the modem when it arrived, my wife could not do it on my behalf. I won't be home for almost 2 weeks, that length of time the order will be automatically canceled and returned. I could not even get them to cancel the current one, they will just wait until it cancels itself automatically.
So I ordered another one in my wife's name, doesn't cost me anything to do that.
Update2 (28/9/07 10am)
I got e-mail's from Virgin telling me the new landline numbers so I rang my wife to tell her that the modems should be delivered in the next few days. She received and signed for both this morning. Looks like I will have to ring and ask for a return sachel, but it does mean that I have a choice of the two numbers.