O Yiheyuan  頤和園 - 颐和园; em Pinyin:Yíhé Yuán), também conhecido como Palácio de Verão, é um palácio localizado em Pequim, China. "Yiheyuan" significa literalmente "Jardim da Harmonia Cultivada".

O Yiheyuan é dominado principalmente pela Colina da Longevidade (60 metros de altura) e pelo Lago Kunming. Cobre uma área de 2,9 quilómetros quadrados, três quartos dos quais são de água. O central Lago Kunming, que se estende por uma área de 2,2 quilómetros quadrados, é totalmente artificial, tendo o solo escavado servido para construir a Colina da Longevidade. Nos seus compactos 70.000 metros quadrados de espaço construído encontra-se uma variedade de palácios, jardins e outras estruturas de arquitectura clássica.

HISTÓRIA:

Quando o Imperador Wányán Liàng, da Dinastia Jin (1115-1234), mudou a sua capital para a zona de Pequim, tinha um Palácio da Montanha de Ouro construído no local da actual Colina da Longevidade. Durante a Dinastia Yuan (1279-1368), a colina teve o seu nome alterado de "Montanha de Ouro" para "Colina Proibida" (Weng Shan). Esta troca de nome é explicada por uma lenda, segundo a qual havia sido encontrado na colina, em tempos, um jarro com um tesouro dentro. Diz-se que a perda do jarro terá coincidindo com a queda da Dinastia Ming (1368-1644), tal como tinha sido predito por quem o achara. Em 1749, o Imperador Qianlong encomendou trabalhos para os jardins imperiais aos quais a colina pertencia, dando o nome actual à Colina da Longevidade em celebração do 60º aniversário da sua mãe.

O Palácio de Verão teve início como o Jardim das Ondas Claras (em chinês tradicional: 清漪園; em chinês simplificado: 清漪园; em Pinyin:Qīngyī Yuán), em 1750 (15º ano de reinado do Imperador Qianlong). Os artesãos reproduziram estilos de arquitectura de jardim de vários palácios da China. O Lago Kunming foi criado através da ampliação de um corpo de água já existente, para imitar o Lago Oeste em Hangzhou.

O complexo palaciano sofreu dois ataques importantes. O primeiro durante invasão aliada anglo-francesa de 1860 (com o Velho Palácio de Verão também saqueado ao mesmo tempo), e o segundo durante o Levante dos Boxers, num ataque levado a cabo pelas forças aliadas em 1900. O jardim sobreviveu, tendo sido reconstruído em 1886 e em 1902.

Em 1888, foi dado ao palácio o nome actual, Yihe Yuan, o qual serviu como refúgio de Verão à Venerável Imperatriz Cixi. Esta Imperatriz desviou 30 milhões de taels (unidade de peso chinesa) de prata (ao que parece destinados originalmente à marinha chinesa - Frota Beiyang), para a reconstrução e ampliação do Palácio de Verão.

Em Dezembro de 1998, a UNESCO incluíu o Palácio de Verão na sua Lista do Património Mundial. Esta organização mundial declarou o Palácio de Verão uma "excelente expressão da criativa arte de desenho de jardim paisagístico chinês, incorporando trabalhos da espécie humana e da natureza num conjunto harmonioso". Actualmente, é um popular destino turístico, servindo igualmente de parque recreativo.

------------------------------

The Summer Palace or Yi he yuan (traditional Chinese: 頤和園; simplified Chinese: 颐和园; pinyin: Yíhé Yuán; literally "Garden of Nurtured Harmony") is a palace in Beijing, China. The Summer Palace is mainly dominated by Longevity Hill (60 meters high) and the Kunming Lake. It covers an expanse of 2.9 square kilometers, three quarters of which is water. The central Kunming Lake covering 2.2 square kilometers was entirely man made and the excavated soil was used to build Longevity Hill. In its compact 70,000 square meters of building space, one finds a variety of palaces, gardens, and other classical-style architectural structures.

The Summer Palace started out life as the Garden of Clear Ripples (traditional Chinese: 清漪園; simplified Chinese: 清漪园; pinyin: Qīngyī Yuán) in 1750 (Reign Year 15 of Emperor Qianlong). Artisans reproduced the garden architecture styles of various palaces in China. Kunming Lake was created by extending an existing body of water to imitate the West Lake in Hangzhou. The palace complex suffered two major attacks--during the Anglo-French allied invasion of 1860 (with the Old Summer Palace also ransacked at the same time), and during the Boxer Rebellion, in an attack by the eight allied powers in 1900. The garden survived and was rebuilt in 1886 and 1902. In 1888, it was given the current name, Yihe Yuan. It served as a summer resort for Empress Dowager Cixi, who diverted 30 million taels of silver, said to be originally designated for the Chinese navy (Beiyang Fleet), into the reconstruction and enlargement of the Summer Palace.

A panorama shot taken in winter.

In December 1998, UNESCO included the Summer Palace on its World Heritage List. It declared the Summer Palace an "outstanding expression of the creative art of Chinese landscape garden design, incorporating the works of humankind and nature in a harmonious whole." It is a popular tourist destination but also serves as a recreational park.

[edit] History

View of Longevity Hill with Kunming Lake in the foreground and the Tower of Buddhist Incense in the center.

When the Jin Dynasty emperor Wányán Liàng moved his capital to the Beijing area, he had a Gold Mountain Palace built on the site of present-day Longevity Hill. In the Yuan Dynasty, the hill was renamed from Gold Mountain to Jug Hill (Weng Shan). This name change is explained by a legend according to which a jar with a treasure inside was once found on the hill. The loss of the jar is said to have coincided with the fall of the Ming Dynasty as had been predicted by its finder. The Qianlong Emperor, who commissioned work on the imperial gardens to which it belongs in 1749, gave Longevity Hill its present-day name in celebration of his mother's 60th birthday.

[edit] Buildings

On its southern slope, Longevity Hill is adorned with an ensemble of grand buildings: The Cloud-Dispelling Hall, the Temple of Buddhist Virtue, and the Sea of Wisdom Temple form a south-north (lakeside - peak) oriented axis which is flanked by various other buildings. In the center of the Temple of Buddhist Virtue stands the Tower of Buddhist Incense (Fo Xiang Ge), which forms the focal point for the buildings on the southern slope of Longevity Hill. The tower is built on a 20-meter-tall stone base, is 41 meters high with three storeys and supported by eight ironwood (lignumvitae) pillars.

(in Wilkipedia)