Yesterday I got around to trying out the chemicals (rodinal & agfa agefix) and apparatus I got at the same time as I ordered negative filing sheets for the growing number of negatives and (unmounted) slides. Having them in envelopes that I get from the developer/camera store is getting rather unwieldy.


Last night it was time to try out the basic starting kit made by Kaiser Fototechnik (tanks etc. are paterson clones). Naturally I botched the spooling of first roll of Agfa APX 100 (which was purpose-shot as a test roll; different filters, uniform motives & different exposures for several frames etc.), I probably winded the film too vigorously onto the spool of the tank, thus it became stuck. Some mild %@#&"!! followed. The valiant test roll then volunteered for a sacrifice for the common good of its compatriots and was promptly spooled without any incidents in lit conditions. Then another roll of APX 100 was conjured and properly spooled.


A developing bath of Rodinal diluted to 1+100 at roughly 20°C for 20 minutes, some agitation at the start and then some at the start of every minute was followed by a mild stop bath (5ml [1 teaspoon] of citric acid powder mixed in 1l of water) which was followed by a ten-minute fixer bath (agfa agefix 1+7). Finally I washed the film by filling the tank and inverting five times, then fresh water and a cycle of ten inversions, then anew with 20 (followed by a final cycle of ten inversions in fresh water).

Was certainly nice to see that something useful came out. I've learnt my lesson though and will try spooling a 120-film in daylight, have test subject already in an old Kodak Verichrome pan that was still inside a camera I got from a buy-sell store.

Tonal range, grain etc. looks acceptable so far, will re-scan it when the film has settled a bit (now quite bulgy). All in all, it was quite fun and felt somewhat akin to baking bread or such.





Links: nifty database nifty video one of many FAQs