Hi, everyone!

I hope your days have been full and filled with all sorts of summer fun!

My update today is going to be short. I don't feel like I have a lot to talk about. I will just mention that I am having some continuing problems with my car and will need to get the issues looked into. Hopefully, it won't cost to much, but, at this point, I think I am in for the long haul with this car, so we'll see. Anyway, on to the update.

First off will be the project that I have been mostly working on. This is the Hardanger piece. I posted this information about it in another post, but I had someone asking about it, so here it is again.

"It is a Hardanger design from Tomorrow's Heirlooms in Hardanger Embroidery by Earlene Dobberpuhl. It was published through Nordic Needle in 1991, but does not appear to be available on their site. It may be out of print, so you may have to try a site like E-Bay in order to track it down if you would like to purchase it."

I have gotten a lot done on this piece since I last posted a picture on June 11. You can see that picture here. The picture below is as of July 14.


As you can tell, this has really progressed nicely in the last month. The variegated colour stitching was kind of boring to do because it was all kloster blocks, but I really enjoyed doing the satin stitch motifs in the centers of the sides and the smyrna stitches on either side of the motifs.

Next up is the piece I am doing as part of the Stitch-A-Long (SAL) with Papillon Creations. Part 3 came out the middle of June and had some fun stitches in it to do. Below is my progress picture and a close up of the section that I stitched.


Around the World in 80 Stitches SAL, part 3 by Yvonne Horne, Papillon Creations


Close up of Part 3

I had an interesting time playing around with the colour combination in this section. I ended up frogging (ripping out) a bunch, but I am happy with the outcome. The yellow and orange is starting to grow on me now that I see it after some time has gone by since I stitched it and in the pictures. Part 4 was released yesterday, but I am thinking that I won't start working on it until after I get some more progress done on my Hardanger piece.

Recently, in a couple of my Yahoo groups, there has been some discussion about different fabrics that have been stitched on and how pieces have been finished. I mentioned two of my items, one from each category.

Back in college, one of my classmates had taken a denim/jean jacket and drew some pictures on it. Now, let me just say that this gal has some talent when it comes to drawing and the jacket turned out gorgeous and it inspired me. I believe it was during the summer of 1994 that I completed a stitched piece on the back of a denim/jean jacket. The pictures below show a wide angle of the jacket and a close up of the stitching.



I used waste canvas, so everything is not totally straight. I am, however, very pleased with the finished product. Oh, and I had to use a sharp needle in order stitch this piece. Some places were very thick with the combination of denim and thread. I have worn the jacket, in my smaller weight days. I really needs to be cleaned, but this is not a piece for anyone but me, so I am not overly worried about it.

For those who want to know, the text says. "I asked Jesus, 'How much do you love me?' He answered, 'This much," and he stretched out his arms and died." This pattern came from a Stoney Creek book that I no longer have, if I remember correctly. However, it was a book with larger patterns in it that could be sewn together into a quilt. If you really want to know which book it is, let me know and I will do some looking around.

The other piece that I mentioned fits in the "how a project was finished" category. The classmate I mentioned above was in a theatre class that I took. The end of the course required an essay about the combination of God and the arts. We had to include some of our own creativity in it. Prior to this class, I did not think I was creative due to the fact that, with my stitching, I take a design created by someone else and reproduce it. They convinced me otherwise. So here is a picture of my cover page for that essay.


I designed this cover page myself, with the help of a pattern book of alphabets. The edge is fringed only and the piece is glued in the corners to a blank piece of white paper so it could be attached to the rest of the essay. I did well on the essay and I think Nick, my instructor, was pleased with my creative spin, as well as the rest of the paper.

Oh, yeah! I just about forgot to explain the white boxes on the picture. While I know my personal information is out there on the internet, I have at least been in control of, I think, who has it. I prefer that my name is not available on this picture should it get shared further or viewed by people I don't know. It is a little bit of privacy of my information that I can control.

Okay, I think that is it for this time. I hope this isn't too long and that you have enjoyed it. Feel free to leave a comment here or e-mail me.

Take care!

Spud :o)