Some days ago, I tested a new developer soup with Coffee and Vit.C. It is very easy for me to make these tests because I have some 250 ml bottles prepared with 10% solutions of coffee, vit. C, Quercetin, Hydroquinone, Fenidone, etc. I just measure a certain amount of each and add to the alkaline bath and here it goes, first with a stripe and, after knowing the duration I should give to the bath, I expose a film and develop.

This time I was testing whether sodium hydroxide could replace washing soda. The advantadge is that instead of 50g/liter alkali, we would need just a few grams/liter. I started with 10 gram/liter and made coffee = 10g and Vit. C = 5 g. Disaster! It does develop but the film is completely stained and fogged, you almost can't see the image, but it is there. For things like these, it serves:

This picture was scanned in mode color negative and the color is natural, it was just enhanced in contrast. But if you want real photos, not art, then listen what I made the next time. Instead of 10 g/l sodium hydroxide, and because the development lasts just 10 minutes or so, I reduced the amount of lye to 5 g/liter and add 3 g/l of potassium bromide. The result was fantastic, no stain, no fog, good negatives and not so contrasty as you may think. By the contrary, you need to push a little the contrast.


The recipe:

5g/l Sodium hydroxide
10g/l coffee
5g/l Vit. C
3g/l Potassium bromide

Develop for 60 minutes, stand development at 20 ºC.

Total amount of components: 23 g/l, what is very little but the next I will try to reduce more or to make a concentrate that may be used like Parodinal in 1:50, 1:100 and so on.