A Court of Election held at Hartford, May 8th, 1684
An accont of the Moeheagan Sachems native boundaries and royalties as appeares by severall Court records and by information and testimonies of sundry Indians, both Pequots and Narragancetts ; the greatest part of which lands within the sayd bowndes they have sold and alienated to severall plantations and perticular persons, as appeares by deeds, gifts and grants derived from the foresayd Mohegan Sachems.
The Mohegan west bownds are from Ashwawott to Wonggunshoake, and from thence to Washiack, as appears by an agreement between Uncass sachem of Mohegen, and Arramamet and other Conecticutt Indians, as country records doth make manifast. May 17, 1666. In refference to what right Uncass had on the west side of Conecticutt river and to Guilford, was alienated to Mr. Georg Fenwick and to the inhabitants of Saybrooke, excepting six acres at Homonoscitt, as appeares upon publique record bearing date, November 13, 1665.
The Mohegan sowth bownds on the west side of Mohegan river begins at Massapeguotuck Soongapog, a cold spring, and from thence to Masenunckquock and then to Poodhumseck, and from thence to Pumpumbashunck, and runs on to Weegoschook, and so to Pohtaiyomsek, a great rock. The sowth
bownds on the east side of Mohegan, are at Acomeques, as appears upon record bearing date October 20th, 1666.
The Mohegan East bownds doe begin at Ayasupsuck pond, which is the sowth east corner, and from thence to Mamasuck, from thence to Sinuesutt, and then to Yoskowunganuck, and so to Chabinunggh, and from thence to Shawammuck ; from thence to Majomansuck, and so to Pouhtugwotchaug, and then to Majohpence, and from thence to Munhumsqueeg, and so on to the upper falls #; and it appeares that the Mohegan sachems had right on the east side Quinabauge River, as records shews, bearing date on the 13th of Nov. 1665, besides Indian testimonies.
The north bownds of the Mohegan sachems appeares to be run up to the Wabaquassut country, and from thence vp to Nipmug, haveing had right so far northerly ever since the Pequot war in 1637 ; at which time the Pequots makeing war with the English, the Indians on the east side of Quinebauge river above the falls turned off to the Narrogancetts, and those on the west side the sayd river fell to the Mohegans, and for about forty five yeares have payd tributt, acknowledgments, and white deer skinns and bear skinns and black wolfeskinns ; and that he was their sachem till Owenecoe his son grew up, who was then appoynted by Vncass to be their sachem ; and they being put under him, the Wabaqussuck chief men to rule in his absence. That Owenacoe was owned and acknowledged to be their sachem, was sufficiently known by many English, and allso acknowledged so to be by the Wabaquasutt Indian surrenderers, since the war, as appeares by their testimonies before the Reverend Mr. James Fitch, minister in Norwich, May 5th, 1684.
The west bownds of the Wabaquassutt country. May 5th, 1684, are,-Mashenups, the sowth west corner, to Elat, so to Queghommatch, and so to Miscetchawog, and so to Wegquapamisk, and so to Natick Hill, the northerly corner ; and then up [on] an easterly line to a place called Cheekheek, and so to Pissoups, and so to Wishquagawans, and so to Paskkeegh, and so to Towcocks, and so to Monoposhke, and so to Pemenos, the sowth east* corner ; and then upon a sowtherly lyne to a place called Poohunck, and so to Matush, and so to Anqueet, and so to Yeeompsky, and so to Gantuckkoyog, and so to Nashawag, and so to Sajus, and so to Quinibaug falls, which is the sowth east corner. **
Being desired by the Generall Court as their committee haveing had the perusall of sundry Court records, and Indian declarations and testimonies, upon the foregoing considerations and assertions, gives vs underwritten the best light and advice that we can procure or attayne unto in refference to the
sachems of Mohegan, their boundaries, and right of royalties within the sayd bownds.
May 13, 1684. Robert Treat, Governor
John Tallcott, Assistant.
Recorded January 27, 1684, and is a true coppy of the originall,
as attests, John Allyn, Secretary.
# Of Quinebaug river ; near Danielsonville.
** See Oweneco's deed of the Wabaquassett and Nipmug country, to Capt James Fitch, 24 June, 1684 in Col. Rec. Deeds &c. II. 118, 119
* This should be, north east
(CGA, Vol 3, 148 – 150)
Oct 1686, Whereas Capt. James Fitch hath purchased the native right of the Wabaquassett country,*
* June 24th, 1684, Capt. James Fitch, of Norwich, procured from Oweneco, a deed of an extensive tract of land to the northward of the new plantation above Norwich [Windham], joyneing to it, from Waramanticut River to Abaquage pond, and from the sayd pond the lyne to run east to Quinibaug River, and from the afoarsayd Waramanticut River the lyne to run to a great pond called Misshinaps, which is the south west corner bounds, and is by estimation about forty five miles:
and from thence northward to, and beyond, the Massachusetts line, comprehending the Nipmug and Wabaquassuck countreys. Col. Record of Deeds &c., II. 118, 119. This deed was signed by Owaneco and "his son and heir," Josiah: and was further confirmed by a quitclaim from sundry of the Shawtucket Indians, ' surrenderers,' who had formerlylived in the Wabaquassett country. Id. 119
(CGA, Vol 3, 202)
Bowen, Clarence Winthrop, The Boundary Disputes of Connecticut, Boston 1882. Web.
Connecticut General Assembly, The Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut, Vol. 3, from: May, 1678 to June, 1689,J. Hammond Trumbull, Hartford, 1859. Web.
Content is in the Public Domain.
Internet Archive, Library of Congress:
Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut:
Boundary Disputes of Connecticut: