sir fulke greville 1st baron brooke monument 1 Fulke Greville, 1st Baron Brooke, 13th Baron Latimer and 5th Baron Willoughby de Broke.
He was born 3 Oct 1554 at Beauchamp Court to sir Fulke Greville and Anne Neville.
1564 he went to Shrewsbury School where he meet and remained life long friends with the writer Philip Sidney.
1568 enrolled at Jesus College, Cambridge.
1576 he was posted to the Welsh Marches but resigned in 1577 to attend court for Elizabeth I who liked his sober character and good admin skills.
1581 MP for Southampton.
1583 Elizabeth I made him Secretary to the Principality of Wales.
He often fell out of royal favour for leaving the country without permission.
He was part of a group with Sidney and Edward Dyer called the Areopagus Club.
1585 he sailed with Drake against the Spanish in the West Indies despite the Queen forbidding the enterprise.
Sidney was killed in 1586
Greville was at the Battle of Courtas in 1587.
1591 he served in Normandy under Henry of Navarre.
1592-93,97,1601,21 MP for Warwick.
1598 made Treasurer of the Navy.
1604 given Warwick Castle by James I. It was dilapidated and spent £20,000 restoring it.
1614 was made Chancellor and Under-treasurer of the Exchequer.
1618 Commissioner of the Treasury.
1621 Made Baron Brooke.
1628 at Warwick he was stabbed to death by Ralph Heywood, a servant who felt he had been cheated in his masters will. He then killed himself.
He is buried in a massive tomb in St Marys, Warwick where it was inscribed with;
Folk Grevill/ servant to Queene Elizabeth / Conceller to King James / and frend to Sir Philip sidney / trophaeum peccati.

He left no children so the Barony passed to his adopted son Robert Greville.

robert dudley earl of leciester
dudley and lettice 2 Robert Dudley was born 24 June 1532 the fifth son of John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland and Jane Guildford. At a young age he was tutored by, among others, Dr. John Dee. He had a talent for languages, writing and maths.He learnt the Courtiers craft at the court of Henry VIII.
1549 he was involved in crushing the Kett's Rebellion.
4 June 1550 he married Amy Robsart, the daughter of a Norfolk farmer, in the presence of King Edward. It would seem that the marriage was a love match and the young couple were dependent on John Dudley financially.
In 1553 Edward died and the plot to put Lady Jane of the throne was put into action. Robert led a force of 300 against Mary, taking various towns in Norfolk in the name of Queen Jane.
By the 19th July the reign was over and all parties involved were tried, condemned to death and placed in the Tower of London. At the same time the Princess Elizabeth was also imprisoned in the Tower and it would seem that it was during this time that the two childhood friends became close. By the autumn he and Ambrose had been released and joined the army of Phillip II of Spain.
1557 he was at the Battle of St Quentin, his bravery allowing him to return to Court, at least whilst Phillip was present.
On 18 November 1558 he witnessed the surrender of the Great Seal to Elizabeth on her accession to the throne at Hatfield. He was entrusted with the duty of organising the coronation festivities. As soon as Elizabeth was Queen, Robert was made Master of the Horse.
By April 1559 he was made a Knight of the Garter and several Ambassadors were noting that the Queen and Dudley had become so close that it was widely acknowledged that the Queen would marry no-one except Dudley. For this he attracted many enemies and the assassination plots were so rife he started wearing light chain mail under his clothes.
He was not allowed to leave the Queen's side for any length of time and was only allowed to spend four days with his wife, Amy, at Easter in 1559. She was also allowed to come to London for a month in the summer, but that was the last time he would see her. She was found at the bottom of the stairs at Cumnor place on 8 September 1560. He was with the Queen at Windsor Castle. The rumours were immediate, mainly that either Robert or the Queen had Amy murdered so they could marry. It had the opposite affect. To limit the damage and he was removed from Court for two years.
1562 he was made a Privy Councillor. He was infact to be made Protector or the Realm that year if the Queen had died from the Smallpox she had caught.
1563 Elizabeth suggested that Dudley should marry Mary Queen of Scots. If the match had gone ahead, Elizabeth was willing to proclaim Mary her heir. However, Dudley refused, and supported Mary's cause until the 1580s. He was present at her execution at Fotheringhay castle.
1564 he was created Earl of Leicester. By 1566 Dudley had given up hope he could ever marry Elizabeth, however, her hold was strong. His apartments were next to hers, and he had overwhelming influence over each other. There was long periods of time that he could not leave the Queen and at ceremonial occassions he acted as an unofficial consort or ambassador.
1587 he was made Steward of the Royal Household, and involved with the needs and running of the entire court.
He proved to be an adventurous businessman, financing many ventures including privateers such as Drake.
He also had strong religious views, trying to mediate between the non-conforming puritans and the Bishops of the church.
1575 he held a three weeks festivity at Kenilworth Castle for the visit of the Queen. It was a spectacular event.
1569-1574 he was involved in affair with Lady Douglas Sheffield. Although he claimed to love her, he was honest and stated that he could never marry the lady or he would be ruined. They had a son, Robert, in 1574, and Dudley found her a suitable husband. The boy was much loved and given an excellent education.
21 September 1578 he secretly married Lettice Knollys. He did not tell the Queen, but his enemies did and the outburst was tremendous and they were both sent from court.
They had a son, the noble imp, in 1581 but he died in 1584.
After that Robert turned heavily to God and religion.
In July 1588 at the eve of the Spanish Armada, he was created Lieutenant and Captain-General of the Queen's Armies and Companies. It was he that set up camp in Tilbury and invited the Queen to be with her troops. After the battle was one he basked in his older spledour, even dining with the Queen, for a few precious weeks.
4 September 1588, on his way to Buxton to take the baths, he died at Combury Park, having been suffering from both malaria and stomach cancer.
The Queen locked herself away for a week, refusing to be comforted, and only emerged when Lord Burghley had the door broken down. She kept his last letter by her bedside until she died 15 years later.

ambrose dudley 2
Ambrose Dudley was born in 1530 the fourth son of Sir John Dudley and Jane Guildford. He and his 12 siblings were in part educated by the mathematician John Dee and rhetorician Thomas Wilson.
August 1549 he went into his first battle, fighting the rebel peasant army of Robert Kett, alongside his father.
That year he was knighted and married Anne Whorwood, daughter of William Whorwood the Attorney-General. In 1552 they had a daughter, but she died shortly afterwards, whilst Anne herself also contracted the sweating sickness and died the same year.
Ambrose quickly remarried, this time to Lady Elizabeth Talboys, a Baroness in her own right and landholder in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire.
1553 he marched with his father and elder brother John against Mary Tudor in support Of Lady Jane Grey (his sister-in-law). When the rebellion was over he was imprisoned in the Tower of London. Although all the brothers were condemned to death, only their father the Duke and Guildford were actually executed. His older brother John also died whilst in prison which left Ambrose as heir. He remained in prison until late 1554 and was released after a plea by his wife and influential Spanish nobles.
January 1555 his mother died and he was allowed to inherit her lands. However, he and his family were only welcome at court when Philip of Spain was there, and later that year he was banned completely from London for a year due to fears he was involved in another plot.
January 1557 he joined the Spanish forces in France and took part in the Battle of St Quentin, where his brother Henry was killed. For their service the two remaining brothers were formerly restored to the blood by an Act of Parliament.
1558 under Queen Elizabeth, and with some thanks to his brothers relationship with the Queen, he received the post of Master of the Ordnance.
26 Dec 1561 he was created Baron Lisle and Earl of Warwick and received a large portion of his fathers confiscated lands. he also received Warwick castle.
1562 he lead a troop of 6000 men in the first War of Religion for Elizabeth in France. They held Le Havre in 1563 against French siege until the walls started crumbling. He was permitted to surrender when Plague ravaged the army and Ambrose was shot in the leg.
On his return, and even though it was basically a failure, he was rewarded with The Welsh Lordship of Ruthin and the Order of the Garter.
Lady Talboy had died whilst he was on campaign and so on 11 November 1565 he married the 16 year old Anne Russell. The wedding was a lavish affair with the bride being given away by Robert Dudley and the Queen throwing a banquet in their honour. Anne would become a good friend of the Queen.
Nov 1569 he was commissioned as a commander against the Northern Rebellion but because of his ill health he returned to his estates in 1570.
1587 he was a commissioner at the trial of Mary Queen of Scots, but he did not attend her execution. That duty fell to Robert.
The two brothers remained close throughout their lives and when Robert died, Ambrose (childless after three marriages) took care of his illegitimate teenage son, Robert.
In 1590 he finally had to have his wounded leg amputated as it had turned gangrenous. He died as a result at Bedford House in London on 21 February.
The Countess Ann commissioned his monument in St Marys church, Warwick.

Catherine Grey (1540-1568) was the middle daughter Henry Grey, 3rd Marquis of Dorset and Duke of Suffolk, and Frances Brandon.
A clever little girl she was learned in greek by the age of 8, but at the age of 12 she was married Henry Herbert, and although they could not consummate the marriage she was sent to live at residence to live at Baynards Castle. When her sister Jane was to be placed on the throne her marriage to Herbert was annulled.
After her sister and father were executed she went to live with her mother and other sister at Beaumanor. In the July of that year because both mother and sisters were summond to attend court.
It is likely that Catherine then lived at court as probably a Maid of Honour. She had her own rooms, personal servants and her pet dogs and monkeys.
Because of her royal conection she was considered the heir presumptive and as such could not marry without the Queens permission. So during the summer of 1558 when she visited Hanworth and stayed with the Seymour family, she started a romance with edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford. By Dec 1560 they had been married in secret. The marriage was discovered the following summer and both parties were arrested and put in the Tower. there Catherine gave birth to her son Edward, and due to the sympathies of the jailors and allowing the couple to meet her second son thomas was also born there.
Due to plague in 1563 Catherine and Thomas were sent to live under house arrest with her uncle, lord john grey, at Pirgo in Essex. She was allowed to take baby's nurse and three of her ladues and two manservants. Seymour and Baby edward were sent to the Countess of Somerset and were never to be seen by Catherine again.
in 1564 she was moved to the custody of William Petre at Ingastone, and in 1566 to Gosfield Hall and the custody of Sir john wentworth.
They were again move in 1567 this time to cockfield Hallin yoxhord Suffolk, where Catherine died of probably TB. it has, however, been suggested that she starved herself to death. thomas was sent to live with his brother at their grandmothers.
catherine was originally buried in Yoxford, but in 1621 when his father had died, her grandson had her moved to Salisbury Cathedral so she could be with her husband once more.

Sir Thomas Lucy the third, who died in 1640, and his beautiful wife Alice.
Original correspondence denotes that it should have been crafted by the sculpture Bernini but the commission was in fact given to Schurman the one time assistant of Nicholas stone.
He was generally known as a man of learning hence there are depictions of books inscribed with Horace, Homer, Virgil and Cato. He was also a famous horseman and again is depicted as such in one of the back panels.
Born in 1583 he was the son of Sir Thomas Lucy and Constance Kingsmill.
Between 1614-29 he was MP for Warwickshire until Charles I disbanded parliament.
1640 he was re-elected in the Short Parliament but died in December after falling from his horse.
He married Alice Spencer the daughter of Thomas Spencer of Claverden, Warwickshire and Mary Cheke in 1610. Together they had 14 children.

Alice Spencer the daughter of Thomas Spencer of Claverden, Warwickshire and Mary Cheke in 1610. She married Thomas Lucy and together they had 14 children.
Alice was born in 1594 and first meet Thomas at her aunts house, Alice Countess Derby when she was eleven. They married when she was 16.
She was famous in her own time for being a Godly gentlewoman and the model of feminine piety. She also encouraged the Puritan Minister John Ley who dedicated some of his works to her.
After Thomas died she ran her household with a Godly regime and served as the household preacher for three years, leading them in regular psalm singing and employing a minister of a sunday to give evening service.
She was also a charitable woman who at Christmas would tour the local towns doling out bread and meat to the needy. when the famine of 1647-8 came to Warwickshire the poor could find help at her gates where corn could be obtained cheaply in small enough quantity to make it affordable.
She erected the monument to the both of them but focused on her husbands past-times and not herself. She died August 1648.

Sir Robert Throckmorton born 1513 the eldest son of George Throckmorton and Katherine Vaux.

He trained at Middle Temple and attended the reception of Anne of Cleves, 4th wife of Henry VIII.
1553 he was elected Knight fo the shire and High sheriff of Warwick and Leicester, after having been knighted and made constable of Warwick Castle.
He married twice;
1) 1527 Muriel Berkeley who died 1542.
2) 1542 Elizabeth Hussey who died in 1554.
The sons of his two daughters, Anne and Muriel became known for their part in the Gunpowder plot, Catesby and Tresham.
He died 12 Feb 1586

Katherine Vaux was born in 1490 the daughter of Nicholas Vaux, 1st Baron Vaux of Harrowden and Hon. Elizabeth Fitzhugh.
In 1512 she married Sir George Throckmorton with whom she had 19 children, eight sons and eleven daughters.
She was also the Aunt of Catherine Parr, sixth wife of Henry VIII.

Sir Robert Throckmorton, 4th Baronet 1702-8 Dec 1791
Eldest son of Robert Throckmorton, 3rd Baronet and Mary Yate.
He married three times:
1) Lady Theresa Herbert, daughter of William Herbert, 2nd Marquess of Powis and Mary Preston. She died 17 June 1723.
2) Catherine Collingwood, daughter of George Collingwood of Estlington. She died 3 July 1761.
3) Lucy Heywood, daughter of James Heywood in 1763. She died in 1795
He died at the age of 89

Anne Throckmorton died 1728 aged 90. She was daughter of John Monson of Kinnersley Manor, Hurley, Surrey.
She was married to Sir Francis Throckmorton, 2nd Baronet with whom she had 4 children.

Margaret Whitmore was born 1576 and was the daughter of Alderman William Whitemore, a haberdasher with business premises at 8 Lombard Street, and Anne Bond who was the daughter of Alderman William Bond a wealthy merchant. Her enitre family did very well for themselves, her sister married a lord mayor of london and her brother actually became lord mayor.
She married Grobham in 1604 and then remarried a year after he died in 1630 to John St John of Lydiard. She was 10 years older than her second husband who had a house full of young children from his first wife, Anne, who died giving birth to her 13th child.
She was noted as a fashionable woman in both clothes and hairstyle and is remembered as such on her second monument commissioned by her husband three years before she died and is at Lydiard.