Raised Bed Garden, 1 Month Update: The Good
It's about 4 weeks now that my garden has been in, and there are lots of things growing, and lots of things not growing! :D My biggest plants are the many Maximillian Sunflower seedling starts I put in on the first day, and the "False Sunnies" I put in that day are all getting much larger too. I had some Cosmos seedlings and a pair of Morning Glory seedlings I put in too, and all of them are doing well. I'm really happy to see that I've gotten some new seedlings popping up that I'd been hoping for!
Over the entire garden, there are poppy seedlings growing like crazy, and it's easy to see the difference between the California poppy type and the more well-known poppy type. I also sprinkled a bunch of "probably dead" Zinnia seeds from the flowers I grew last summer, and I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of them growing here and there in the bed. I've enjoyed seeing the different species sprout, and must admit that I haven't been surprised at the lack of sprouts in many sections.
Zero seedlings at this point: gazania, love in a mist, red hot poker, blue star sea holly, delphinium, chamomile, foxglove, swamp milkweed, prairie coneflower, rocket larkspur, english daisy, nemesia, tussock bell flower, creeping zinnia, black-eyed susan, petunia, or cardinal flower.
If you think about it...that's $15.00 I poured down the drain at $1.00 per species. Some may yet sprout, we'll have to see. Some may need a season before they sprout. Who knows. It's been an interesting experiment, and in the end, I'm quite happy because in every single section I have glorious, frolicking, happy poppies growing, and all is well! :)
Below are some pictures of new and flourishing seedlings!
Next: Part 8b—Dreams of a Big Flower Garden, 1-Month Update: The Bad