I realise I’ve not posted here for a while. In fact since December, I didn’t know it had been so long. I’ve had messages, but no need to worry………….I’m still here, just had quite a lot going on recently. I can’t remember what I’ve already written so if I repeat myself, apologies, bare with me,

So for those who have been asking, here’s a brief re-cap. Last summer I had emergency eye surgery. My retina had torn in three places and then detached. I ended up in A&E one Saturday night and was admitted for emergency surgery first thing Monday morning. That’s old history now, every thing healed and all went back to normal, except the surgery had caused a cataract to form in that eye. The cataract took a while to diagnose, I had to wait about three months after surgery to be reassessed, it takes that long for every thing to heal properly after retinal surgery, but as soon as I was examined at my follow up appointment they spotted the cataract. At first I put off more surgery thinking I would manage until I retired but after a while I realised I couldn’t see very well and the cataract was getting worse, so I opted for the next lot of surgery as soon as possible.

I didn’t have to wait long, my appointment came through for December 31st, it was a cancelation, no one wanted to be in surgery on New Years Eve, but I was very pleased. Alas it was not to be. I had the mother of all virus infections over Christmas, I actually thought I might die, OK I know that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but I did feel more ill than I ever remember feeling. It was a flu type bug but one that rendered me totally helpless for about three weeks. I couldn’t get out of bed, couldn’t eat and spent at least two of the weeks sleeping. It was truly horrible. It also meant cataract surgery was cancelled. The consultant said he wanted to wait at least 6 weeks before booking another appointment because he wanted to make sure the virus was well and truly over.

The next appointment came through and every thing was arranged, bag was packed, taxi booked and I was ready, until I had a phone call at about 8.30 the evening before informing me, very apologetically, that my surgery was cancelled. Apparently the surgeon had been involved in an accident and the other surgeons were all busy with emergency work. So back on the list I went. Finally I had my surgery. I was in hospital last Monday (18th March). All went well, my eye is still a bit sore but my sight is better than it has been for years. I’m extremely pleased with the results so far.

The whole saga of my eyes has taken so long to conclude that, as well as having the surgery, I’ve also retired from work. My surgery was last Monday; I’m not allowed to work for two weeks following surgery which takes me to Friday 29th March, which just happens to be my official retirement date. This means I’m effectively retired as of NOW.

My last day at work was rather nice; they gave me a huge bouquet of flowers, a big box of chocolates and a bottle of pink Champaign. My step daughter and partner live in Ireland and they sent me a lovely bouquet of roses and freesias, the freesias leave their perfume all over he house. One of my oldest friends sent me a huge retirement balloon, she said she thought it would cheer me up after coming out of hospital, and it has, it’s a very cheery balloon.

I’m not quite sure how but regardless of eye problems I’ve managed to carry on painting these last few month. If I sat at the kitchen table and worked very close to the canvas, I could see well enough to paint.

Now my eyesight is better, I don’t need any more surgery and my time is my own, I hope to be doing a lot more painting.