Chuck Berry's "Thirty Days (to get you back home)" got to number two on the R&B chart in 1955. Say what you will about this man, he came up with some great early rock and roll.

He came from Arkansas and settled in Ontario, Canada where he built a mighty following. From his album "Ronnie Hawkins" "Forty Days" peaked at number forty-five in 1959 and is still played today on Canadian oldies radio stations. His versions of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" and "Hey, Bo Diddley" are simply marvels to hear in concert. He is known nationally for having some great players in his group The Hawks: Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko, Levon Helm, Richard Manuel, Gath Hudson aka The Band, David Clayton-Thomas and David Foster. Here's a typical Ronnie Hawkins quote "I've spent 90% of my money on booze and broads. The other 10% I've squandered. I'm in so much debt that I've got bankers getting me gigs. They don't want anything to happen to me."